Federal Skilled Trades Worker

Program for qualified skilled trades worker

FSTP requirements:

  • Language ability – Minimum CLB 5 for Speaking and Listening, and CLB 4 for Reading and Writing
  • Work Experience – Must be in Major group of the NOC (skill type B 72, 73, 82, 92), and Minor group of NOC 632 and 633

The work experience does not need to be continuous but counts after candidate qualified to independently practice the occupation meaning must be acquired after obtaining the correspondent qualifications to perform such job. Minimum 2 years of full-time work experience or an equal amount of part-time in a skilled trade within the last 5 years before applying.

  • Certificate of Qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial, territorial of federal authority;


  • A valid Job Offer under any of the FSTP job category for full-time employment from up to two Canadian employers for at least 1 year

There is no education requirement for the FST program, but necessary to improve rank in the Express Entry pool.

Candidate must have enough money to support themselves and their family to settle in Canada, unless candidate:

  • Currently able to legally work in Canada
  • Have a valid job offer form an employer in Canada

Request a Consultation

Candidate meeting the minimum requirements of the FST program must apply through the Express Entry system to submit an Expression of Interest to immigrate to Canada.

The majority of FSTP candidate do not have enough CRS to compete with the FSW and CEC candidates in the Express Entry pool. To accommodate FSTP candidates, IRCC usually makes FSTP specific Round of Invitations twice a year.

To know more about this program or to assess your eligibility, please fill out our assessment form and submit it through “Request a Consultation” webform.

Other Options for Express Entry


This program is specifically designed to attract skilled workers who have foreign work experience and are looking to settle in Canada permanently


A pathway to become permanent resident for skilled workers with Canadian Work Experience