Study Permit


A pathway leading towards Canadian permanent residency

Foreign nationals around the world desirous to get enrolled into Canadian institutions and have a Canadian study permit. Studying in Canada is an exciting and rewarding experience for foreign nationals. Quality education with affordable tuition fees attracts a large majority of international students to study in Canada.

Study Permit

A study permit is an authorization to legally study in Canada for a duration of the study program. Foreign nationals who plan to study in Canada for a period longer than 6 months must obtain a study permit.

The study permit is an official document issued by IRCC that allows foreign nationals to study at DLI -Designated Learning Institutions in Canada. Most foreign nationals need a study permit to study in Canada.

Study permit requirements (regular processing):
  • Enroll in a Designated Learning Institution
  • Have a financial capability and proof of having a significant financial support to pay tuition fees, living expenses and return transportation
  • Get a Police Clearance Certificate, if required
  • Have a medical exam conducted by a certified medical practitioner, if required
  • Prove an intention to leave Canada when study permit expires

Request a Consultation

Student Direct Stream (faster processing)

Requirements to be eligible for faster processing under the SDS:

  • Be a legal resident (no need to be a citizen) living in 1 of the listed countries
  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Brazil
  • China
  • Colombia
  • Costa Rica
  • India
  • Morocco
  • Pakistan
  • Peru
  • Philippines
  • Senegal
  • Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • Vietnam
  • Acceptance letter form a post-secondary Designated Learning Institution
  • Pay tuition fee for the first year of study
  • Have a GIC of $10,000
  • Have a CAQ to study in Quebec
  • Get a medical exam, if required
  • Get a police clearance certificate, if required
  • Transcript(s) of most recent secondary or post-secondary school
  • IELTS score of 6.0 or higher in each module, or TEF score equal to CLB at least 7 in each skill

Resident of above listed countries who do not qualify for the Student Direct Stream are still eligible to apply under regular processing stream.

Validity of a study permit
  • For primary school (grades 1 to 8) – 1 year and can be renewed in Canada.
  • For secondary school (grades 9 to 12), college or university – A study permit is usually valid until the length of the program, and additional 90 days.
  • Additional 90 days let the international student to prepare to leave Canada or apply to extend stay.
  • Student can extend their stay if the program not completed within the validity of study permit.
  • If student completes the program on or before the validity period of the study permit, a study permit will be considered invalid 90 days after the completion of the program regardless of the validity period printed on the study permit.
  • The program is considered complete either on the date the first notification arrives from the Canadian institution such as an email. letter, transcript, degree or diploma.
Useful facts to know to study in Canada
  • Study permit holder authorizes to work up to 20 hours per week during academic year and full-time during academic breaks (International student must be enrolled in a DLI program of at least six months in duration)
  • Canadian institutions submit regular reports of enrolled students to IRCC.
  • International students who are not in compliance with study permit conditions can be subject to a removal order.
  • Spouse and/or common-law partner of full-time international student can apply for Open Work Permit, and children can apply for study permit.
  • Study program of at least 8 months or more is eligible for Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) upon successfully completion of study in Canada.
  • PGWP – an open work permit authorizes to work for any employer in Canada. Validity of PGWP (from 8 months to maximum 3 years) depends on the length of a study program.
  • Spouse and common-law partners of PGWP holders can apply for an open work permit if the PGWP holder work in NOC 0,A, or B occupation.
  • International students enrolled in a ESL/FSL and in a non listed DLI are not eligible to work while studying and PGWP.
  • Study permit not required for the program of less than 6 months of duration; however, TRV will be required
Useful hints to have smooth journey to avail permanent residency
  • Enroll in a study program of duration of more than 1 year, preferably 2 years program
  • Do not work more hours than authorized
  • Maintain full-time student status throughout and make progress towards completing program
  • Respect any conditions listed on study permit
  • Stop studying if no longer meeting study permit requirements
  • Do not enroll in any institution not listed in DLI and are not eligible for PGWP
  • Work in skilled job NOC 0,A or B while working on PGWP

Work experience obtained during PGWP will be imperative to get permanent residency through CEC and PNP program.

Reasons why international students prefer to study in Canada
  • Quality education with affordable tuition fees
  • Work while studying
  • Obtain an open work permit (PGWP)after successfully completing the program
  • Bring accompanying spouse or common-law partner and dependent children
  • Become a Permanent Resident through either PNP, CEC, QSW or any other relevant program

To know more about this program or to assess your eligibility, please fill out our assessment form and submit it through “Request a Consultation” webform.

Other Options for Temporary Residence

Work Permit