Spousal Sponsorship inside of Canada

Spouse/CLP physically presents in Canada can be sponsored under Spousal Sponsorship inside of Canada.

  • Sponsored person (applicant) must be at least 18 years old.
  • Applicant can get an open work permit while a permanent residence application is under process.
  • Having a valid work permit allows access to provincial health care system.
  • Applicant without status in Canada are also eligible to apply; however, may not receive an open work permit.
  • Applicant should not leave Canada frequently or for extended periods because application may be refused if an inland applicant is determined not to be living with Canadian partner.
  • Have no right of appeal if application refused.

Dependent Children

Dependent Children can also be sponsored as part of spousal sponsorship.

  • Must be under 22 years at the time of complete sponsorship application received by IRCC.
  • Children older than 22 years with a mental of physical disorder and rely of financial support of parents since the age of 22 will be considered.
  • Not married or in a common-law relationship.
  • Can be children of a previous spouse or common-law partner.

Minimum Necessary Income

Minimum Necessary Income is not required to sponsor a spouse/Common-law partner/conjugal partner, or dependent children. However, the sponsor still have to show sufficient income or assets to support sponsored family members upon arrival in Canada, without having to resort to social assistance. MNI will be applicable when a dependent children have their own dependent child.

To know more about this program or to assess your eligibility, please fill out our assessment form and submit it through “Request a Consultation” webform.

Request a Consultation

Other Options for Family Sponsorship

Parents & Grandparents Sponsorship

Spousal Sponsorship outside of Canada