Intra-Company Transfer (LMIA-Exempt)

An international company has a branch, subsidiary, or affiliate in Canada can transfer employees to the Canadian location.

Under ICT foreign worker must fall into one of the three categories:

  • Executive
  • Senior Manager
  • Specialized knowledge employee with Proprietary Knowledge and Advance Expertise.
Employee Requirements
  • Must be currently employed by an international company and seeking entry to Canada in a parent, subsidiary, branch, or an affiliate of that company.
  • Transferring to a company that has a qualifying relationship and will be undertaking employment at a legitimate and continuing establishment of that company.
  • Being transferred to a position in an executive, senior managerial, or specialized knowledge capacity.
  • Have been employed continuously by the company outside Canada for at least one year in the last three-year period that plans to transfer them in a similar full-time position at Canadian location.

Request a Consultation

Company Requirements
  • The company must secure physical premises to house the Canadian operation, particularly in the case of specialized knowledge. However, in specific cases involving senior managers or executives, it would be acceptable that the address of the new start-up not yet be secured; for example, the company may use its counsel’s address until the executive can purchase or lease a premise.
  • The company must furnish realistic plans to staff the new operation.
  • The company must have the financial ability to commence business in Canada and compensate employees.
  • When transferring executives or managers, the company must demonstrate that it will be large enough to support executive or management function.
  • When transferring a specialized knowledge worker, the company must demonstrate that it is expected to be doing business and ensure that work is guided and directed by management at the Canadian operation.
Work Permit Duration

The initial work permit is usually granted for 1 year. In certain cases, the IRCC may issue a work permit for 2 years, provided that the company in Canada is a subsidiary of the established foreign company.

The work permit can be renewed several times (for 2-3 years at a time and up to 7 years in total) provided that all the requirements of the program are met (such as having an office in Canada, employing at least 1 staff member who is a Canadian permanent resident or citizen and active business in both Canada and the home country).

To know more about this program or to assess your eligibility, please fill out our assessment form and submit it through “Request a Consultation” webform.

Work permit with LMIA

International Mobility Program (LMIA Exempt)

International Experience Canada (IEC)

Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)

Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP)

Spousal Open Work Permit (SOWP)