Post-Graduation Work Permit

An option for International Students to gain Canadian work experience that leads to PR

Eligibility Criteria – International students intend to obtain a Post-Graduate Work Permit must:

  • Have continuously studied full-time for at least 8 months long program and graduated a study program for one of the following DLI
  1. A public post-secondary institution, such as a college, trade/technical institution, university or CEGEP in Quebec
  2. A private post-secondary institution in Quebec that operates under the same rules as public institutions in Quebec
  3. A private of public secondary or post-secondary institution (in Quebec) that offers qualifying programs of 900 hours or longer, that leads to a diploma of vocational studies (DVS), or an attestation of vocational specialization (AVS) – An AVS can be less than 900 hours in combined with a DVS
  4. A Canadian private institution that is authorized to award degrees under provincial law (for example, an Associate, Bachelor’s, Master’s of PhD degree) – not include all programs of study offered by the private institution.
  • Maintained full-time status as a student in Canada during each semester of a study program – Exceptions (1) final semester can be a part-time (2) approved leave from studies
  • Be 18 years or older and have a valid study permit while applying
  • Apply PGWP within 180 days of receiving written confirmation of program completion; for instance, a transcript or an official letter from the DLI

Request a Consultation

International students may not be eligible for PGWP under the following scenarios
  • Studied in a program of less than 8 months
  • Study permit expired more than 180 days before PGWP application
  • Previously issued a PGWP
  • Studied ESL or FSL
  • Studied general interest or self-improvement courses
  • Participated in the Government of Canada Awards Program funded by Global Affairs Canada
  • Received funding form Global Affairs Canada (not a Study in Canada scholarship)
  • Received the Equal Opportunity Scholarship, Canada-Chile
  • Participated in the Canada-China Scholars’ Exchange Program
  • Completed the major part of a study program through distance learning, online courses, e-learning or correspondence
  • Completed a study program at a non-Canadian institution located in Canada
  • Studied more than eight months but non-continuously
Validity period of a Post-Graduation Work Permit

If length of study program:

  • Less than 8 months – Not eligible for a PGWP
  • More than 8 months but less than 2 years – PGWP will be valid for the same length of study program
  • 2 years or more – PGWP will be issued for 3 years
    If completed more than 1 program – eligible to get a PGWP that combines the length of each program (must be PGWP eligible and at least 8 months in length)
Extending the Post-Graduate Work Permit

PGWP is a one-time work permit given to international student, cannot be extended unless; Passport expires earlier to eligibility period of PGWP.

To know more about this program or to assess your eligibility, please fill out our assessment form and submit it through “Request a Consultation” webform.

Work Permit with LMiA

International Mobility Program (LMIA Exempt)

Intra-Company Transfer

International Experience Canada (IEC)

Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP)

Spousal Open Work Permit (SOWP)